May 31, 201310:47 AM
Odduck: Adventures in Boat Restoration
What Do I Do About... Figuring Out How to Rebuild a Boat
(page 2 of 2)
The follow up to all that was the fun part. With all the decking out, I started at the bow with a pressure washer and thoroughly degreased and flushed the keel from front to back. I only did the bottom of the keel because the hull is divided laterally and longitudinally into small compartments, and they are all full of foam (see above image).
To use the existing plywood transom for a template, I had to do some measuring and extrapolating to get the right size, because the outer edges were rotted away. The top part of the cut-out for the drive was beveled, so I copied that angle when I cut it. Unfortunately, I forgot there was one angle on the side walls and different one across the top, so I cut them all the same. I used a high-quality epoxy wood filler to bring the top back to the proper angle. Finally, I used West System Epoxy Resin to seal all the end grain and several inches away from the edges on the entire piece. The rest of the wood got a sealer coat of oil base paint.
The original did not have all this protection and still lasted a long time. Who knows, maybe one of my grandkids will have an interest in the weird old boat Grandpa Kramer worked on at one time.
Author's note: Part of my quest involves using the lightest materials I can, so if you know of lighter weight products that can replace plywood for various applications, send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. And I'm also looking for a good aluminum trailer, preferably used. Thanks.