Swing Set

Apr 3, 201309:19 AM

Swing Set: Cruising Full Time

Finally in the Bahamas

(page 2 of 2)

We were just so excited to be entering the channel into the North Bimini Harbor! Our destination was the Bimini Bluewater Resort Marina, and we quickly found it and called them on the VHF. We were met at some nice docks by Lewis, who helped us tie up. Then it was into the office to arrange for dockage for one night, but I was told to go to customs first to check in. We left Holly to guard the boat and  both walked to the customs office with all our papers, all filled out, and most importantly, cash.

Typically, only the captain is allowed off a vessel to check in, but the customs office in Alice Town is, well...laid back. But we dressed up a little for the process, something I learned that is appreciated by the authorities. We had everything pretty much in order, so when the officer asked how long we wanted our cruising permit for, we said 180 days and were granted that amount. Some folks who we know who had just come through here only got 90 days, with the option to extend their stay, but it requires checking in at specific locations, and still the extension is not guaranteed.

Once leaving the customs office, which is on the grounds of the Bimini Big Game Club, it was a short walk to the police station, where Bahamas immigration had set up a "temporary" office. The man there was very nice, and we were soon on our way to BaTelCo, just up the street, to see about some Internet service here. We found out  the iPad we have is "locked" and a Bahamas Telecommunications Company SIM card would not work. I made a few calls to AT&T but was only able to speak to a robot before getting cut off. We'd purchased an international calling plan before leaving the U.S., so we could make calls for 25 cents a minute for a monthly fee of $3.99, but I wanted Internet service through BTC so I could check weather, get email and post blogs. Basically, what we wanted was a reduced roaming charge plan.

As we walked down Kingshighway, we stopped in front of the Bimini Big Game Club for this photo. Kingshighway is very busy, and there are no sidewalks. Speed limits seem to be non-existent. We made notes of places we wanted to visit later; it was becoming clearer to us that Bimini wasn't going to be a one-night stay. According to the weather reports, we would either have to leave Bimini first thing in the morning or be here at least until the weekend. It didn't make much sense to come all this way to leave in such a short time.

Rosie went to work on the iPad, trying to line up some international Internet service through AT&T, similar to our international calling plan, but the WiFi service we paid for at the marina left much to be desired. We could only connect while sitting just outside of the office. While Rosie worked on the iPad, I worked on a couple of Bud Lights to sooth my nerves after quite an eventful day. But there was more to come.

We wanted a plan for our MiFi device on the boat, so we could stream data through it to not only the desktop computer but also to the iPad, or even the iPhone if we wanted to, but Rosie could only manage to get the iPad set up for a global Internet and WiFi service, at a cost of $60 per month for 300 MBs. That's not much, but if we could avoid staying at marinas with poor WiFi service, it would be worth it. I soon found out that only having the service on the iPad was going to severely hinder our ability to manage our "household" stuff, plus posting a blog was going to be next to impossible. But, the iPad plan was better than nothing, and I could use it at the helm to check on weather when we were near a BTC tower, which many of the islands have.

We cranked up the water maker, as water here is 60 cents per gallon. We're paying $15 per day for electricity, so we might as well use it to make our water. One thing, the dockage is only $1 per foot per day, a reasonable amount. We took showers and grabbed Holly for a walk to the End of the World Sand Bar on the southern end of the island.

On our way there, we found out it was closed, so we turned around and climbed a small hill on the west side of the island to Sherri's Diner, or something like that. Sherri's is not much more than a shack. We ordered two Kalik beers and contemplated having dinner there. We watched the sunset and ordered two more beers and two Snapper fried fish dinners. No other customers arrived, and we watched some local boys breaking glass bottles for sport on the beach, which of course, is littered with glass and trash. Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg!

Our fish was ready, and we picked it up at the window, ready to dig in. Good thing we had the two Kalik beers, because the only thing the fish was missing was its eyeballs and entrails, having been fried nearly whole, something Rosie had never been exposed to. It was tasty, but it came time to pay and we were presented proudly with a bill of $48, plus tip. Did I mention we were the only customers they had? No wonder. We vowed to never order anything again without asking the price first. I know this, but I keep forgetting my own rules. Might always be the beer.

Back to the boat and early to bed after a long day, but I woke up around 1 a.m., bothered with the Internet plan we pressured ourselves into with AT&T. I poked around on the computer for a bit and found what I thought was a solution.

In the morning I called a number I found on the "My AT&T" application on our iPad and made a call. We were easily able to transfer the global data and WiFi plan to the MiFi device on the boat for the same money we were going to pay just for the iPad. Life was looking pretty good again!

To celebrate (we don't need much reason to celebrate), we went out to breakfast. Captain Bob's, our intended cafe, was closed, so we asked the woman at the marina where we could go and  were directed to CJ's deli, just up the hill next door to Sherri's Diner. CJ's had a menu posted on the wall, and the prices were reasonable. We had a good breakfast in a very small place, only four stools along a little counter, where just on the other side our breakfast was prepared by the two women who were running the place at the time. Everyone who popped in to get something to go was friendly and offered a "good morning." We've found everyone so far to be polite and friendly, something we hadn't experienced in Nassau or the West End, many years ago.

We took a walk after breakfast into Bailey Town, just north of Alice Town. Bailey was a Prime Minister at one time. I don't know who Alice was. Buildings are for the most part very run down, and like I mentioned, there's trash everywhere. It's a shame really, because the water surrounding Bimini is spectacular. We also stopped in at the Bimini Big Game Club to see if they sold diesel. Fuel at the Bluewater is $6 per gallon, and I wanted to see if they had a cheaper price. Turns out Big Game doesn't sell fuel at all, but all of the boats there get fuel at Bluewater and it is judged to be good fuel, so we'll get it here before we leave.

Back at the boat, Rosie polished the fender holders on the bow that had begun to tarnish with rust again, an ongoing process. I got out some contact cement to repair the gasket on our flybridge hatch that was a victim of the rough crossing. I also talked to some others who'd also made the crossing yesterday and who also have decided to wait until the weekend to head out, with the weather being forecasted to get rather blustery.

Not sure how much data transfer is used in posting a blog, but I'll soon find out. We'll have to severely reduce our Internet browsing, because we normally exceed 5 gigs a month on the desktop, not to mention the 3 gigs we use on the iPad. Blog posts may be few and far between, but I wanted to get this one out because finally being in the Bahamas is another milestone for us. We've been at this for 11 months now, and it's hard to believe we've met our goals thus far. But now we have at least six months of exploring these islands ahead of us, hundreds and hundreds of them over thousands of square miles. We won't see them all, and we won't know where we're going until we see the weather each day, but if we can stay for the summer and avoid the hurricanes, we can come back next time to see what we may miss this time.

Add your comment:
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed