Swing Set

Jun 13, 201307:27 AM

Swing Set: Cruising Full Time

Swimming with the Pigs

(page 2 of 2)

Here's a picture of a pretty girl. It's hard to get her to look at the camera when I'm taking a picture, usually she wants to look over at Rosie. I will pay for this.

Back to the boat, and we cranked up the stereo and popped a beer. A fella we'd waved to on his way into the anchorage dinghied over to say hello. "Big Dan" and his wife have been cruising this area every summer for the last eight years in their 53-foot DeFever, staying late in hurricane season, into September and October. His plan is always the same as ours is intended to be; just watch the weather and move out of the way of any approaching storms. It's worked for him. Traveling back to the security of Demopolis, Ala., is not practical for us.

There's one seating for dinner at Staniel Cay Yacht Club, and it's at 7:30. We arrived at the marina about an hour early, and I motored over to a spot where Rosie could climb up to the dock without getting her new shoes wet when I pulled up to the beach later. A guy was standing on the end of a pier and as we approached, he warned me that "a big boat was coming in" and we were not to get in the way.

There was room there for about a 20-foot boat, so I said, "The boat can't be too big, that's an awful short slip."

"It's a 39-foot Pursuit," we were told.

Rosie was nice enough to explain that she was only getting dropped off and that we were taking our dinghy to the beach. Rosie was spreading around more karma. I didn't feel the need to at this particular point.

I secured the dinghy and then found Rosie talking to Nick and the three girls from the sailboat, all dressed up to spend the evening at the SCYC. Nick and I discussed a problem he was having with a motor mount on their sailboat, and he had found that getting a replacement part was almost impossible. I suggested making a repair by fabricating something, but he said he had a drill, but no material. I said I had some spare aluminum angle material of an appropriate thickness, plus some spare nuts and bolts, and we both thought a repair could be made. I promised to come by the next day to take a look at the cracked motor mount on the small diesel engine on the sailboat, as we were going to BTC anyway.

Did I mention that the three pretty young girls traveling with Nick make a habit of lounging around on the sailboat with hardly any clothes on? I do what I can to help. Rosie is coming too, if you need to know.

Rosie might say that this is the closest she's been to a pig that wasn't holding a fork, but it is what it is. We got a seat at the bar and waited for dinner to be served.

We soon found out that we didn't have to get a reservation for the fancy dining room, we could've eaten in the bar off of the lunch menu, something that better suits our budgets and our demeanors, but Rosie said that it didn't hurt to eat at a dining table occasionally.

As 7:30 neared, the bar began to fill up and a line formed of all the other diners that had made reservations. Every table was to be filled, and no walk ins could be accommodated for dinner. We may have changed our minds and ate at the bar anyway, but we had to order what we wanted when we made the reservation that morning, and we weren't going to stiff the restaurant.

Four of the folks in the busted dinghy from earlier in the day made a special point to come up to us at the bar and thank us in broken English for our concern when their dinghy didn't want to run. We thought that was nice. Even people in megayachts like to spread karma around.

When the line dwindled down, we took our seats and were soon digging into a pork chop dinner for Rosie and what was described as a "slab of ribs" for me. If four ribs is a slab, then I'm Porky Pig, and for $28 per dinner, even with a half-cup of soup and a small salad, the entrees were overpriced. Funny how I paid $4 apiece for the beers and didn't blink an eye. Please note that we ordered the pork before making friends with the beach pigs.

It was way after dark when we made the two-mile or so run in the dinghy back to the boat. There was still some light way off in the distance providing some guidance, and the seas were calm. The dinghy zipped us "home" in no time and after pouting just a little bit, Holly was beside herself with glee to see us back with her.

It's raining this morning as I write this blog. I was interrupted by Rosie to come in for breakfast. I had two slices of that great Bahamian bread with peanut butter and jelly on it. It was good, and had better be for 50 cents per bite. I figured it out.

Our letter is due to arrive this afternoon on the Watermaker's Air flight from Fort Lauderdale. We'll go see our new sailboat friends and also stop at the BaTelCo office. If the weather cooperates, we'll both go snorkeling in the Grotto this afternoon when the tide is slack and the current has subsided. It's dangerous in the cave when there's too much current.

Tha-tha-tha-that's all folks!

Add your comment:
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed