Swing Set

Mar 12, 201309:13 AM

Swing Set: Cruising Full Time

How About a Boat Ride!

(page 1 of 2)

The annual Seafood Festival was held in Marathon last weekend. It's billed as the biggest event in the Keys, second only to Fantasy Fest, that's held in the fall in Key West. My experience in regard to any festival is that if the event is held behind fences and gates, and there is an admission charge, it can't be any fun.

Our friends from up north came in on Saturday, but after a long travel day, they decided to forgo the festival and rest up. Lucky them.

We walked over to the Seafood Festival at around 3 p.m., paid our $5 each to enter the "compound" and took it all in. In a matter of minutes, we saw all the vendor booths, asked someone passing by where they had gotten their beer and made a bee-line over to the one beer tent. One. If a festival of any type in St. Louis would only have one beer tent, the people would revolt and there would be hangings. This is a given.

Lobster and fish dinners where being served, and there were conch fritters and other fried delights. Each food vendor was complete with long lines of hungry festival-goers eager to buy a Styrofoam plate of fried food to eat standing up at a plywood table. The only thing I'm willing to eat standing up is a bratwurst, so that's what we bought. There may have been seafood in the bratwurst, who really knows?

There was live music, and we were able to snag a couple of seats and listen to a reggae band for a while. Then, some guy carrying two beers thought that he was able to climb the bleacher seats without tripping and spilling every drop of both beers. He was wrong. He was not able to accomplish this feat at all. My left leg wound up getting doused with the beer. I regret that he didn't spill it on my head, I may have had at least a chance of getting some in my mouth.

After the reggae group, a rock band struck up a Pink Floyd tune. One of their slow, sleepy tunes, but aren't they all? It was dark by then, so we decided to take our leave and get back to Holly and the boat. No pets were allowed at the festival.

We sprung our clocks forward on Saturday night, but I was still up early enough for a sunrise photo. Andrea and Marie were coming to the boat on Sunday, and we got ready. We met them at the entrance to the marina because the parking was sparse due to the festival. There was ample parking in the marina, but we had to prove to the officer entering the parking area that we were patrons of the harbor. When Andrea and Marie arrived in Maria's new Audi, we were waved right in.

We figured to have lots to talk about, since we haven't talked to Andrea since last May, so we took them out to the boat in the dinghy and stayed in the harbor and told lies all afternoon. I think we all had a fun time.

On Monday morning, the technician from SALT called me and I picked him up in the dinghy so he could install the new circuit board in our port wind generator. Chris, the tech from SALT, used to work in Belize on airplanes, and it turns out he knew the flight director for Tropic Air, a guy from Fenton that we also knew. The new board was installed, and the generator began working, but there is a minor bug that needs to be ironed out. I need to do some testing on the wind generator tonight. It has to be night because there is a tiny LED light that comes on when certain conditions are met and it has to be dark to see it.

Why didn't I do this testing on Sunday night? Because as soon as Chris had left, Andrea (on the left) and Marie (in the middle) showed up and we took Swing Set out for the afternoon to nearby Molasses Key.

Add your comment:
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed