Swing Set

Mar 24, 201311:04 AM

Swing Set: Cruising Full Time

Wrapping Up a Month in Marathon

(page 1 of 2)

We had some very calm days at the beginning of last week, so we took the dinghy out to Molassas Key on Wednesday and were joined by a few other boats too. Some folks were watching something in the water that turned out to be a small nurse shark, maybe only two or three feet long, but it was still the first shark we've seen since we've gotten to Florida. I count this as a good thing.

We let Holly swim around some in the shallow water, but she still couldn't touch bottom. We can tell when she is really enjoying herself because she doesn't make an attempt to climb up our legs or claw up the side of the dinghy right away, but swims to and fro, or around in circles.

Our repaired wind generator continues to operate. SALT has informed us they're working diligently at getting some of our money refunded from the manufacturer due to us having a three-year warranty, but I'm not holding my breath. We're just glad to have the unit working again without us having to send it away somewhere and be left without it, not knowing when we'd get it back.

Our friends Don and Kris, along with their daughter Kayte, arrived in For Lauderdale on Wednesday, and on Thursday they came through Marathon, checked into their resort and then kept going onto Key West, a place they wanted to see. They asked if we wanted to join them, but we didn't leave anything when we were down there in January, plus neither one of us relished the idea of the long car ride. We made plans to see them Friday morning.

For our part, we grilled up the last of the contents of our freezer because we intended on defrosting it before pulling the boat out at the beginning of next week. We'd been making a reduction in our refrigerator contents, but still made some shopping trips to stock up our "dry goods." If we get our boat back in the water by next weekend, we'll load up our refrigerated goods in a nice clean refrigerator. If all goes well.

Don called on Friday morning and let us know they were headed over to the marina. We unhooked from our mooring ball, met them at the dock and loaded them all on to the boat. The day was overcast and a bit windy, but we took a long ride out to Bahia Honda Key, a place we've been wanting to check out and just hadn't had a reason. What we found didn't give us a reason to ever go back. I didn't feel like there would be much in the way of protection from anything but the lightest of winds from the northeast.

We wanted to go by boat over to Sunset Grille for dinner, but the water is too shallow to get in there with Swing Set. Then, we tried getting close to the dock at Lazy Days, but I didn't like the short piers they offered for parking and a "stern to" method would've left our props exposed to a questionable bottom depth. The list of places to go by boat to dinner seems rather short around here, unless you take a dinghy.

We decided to go back to the mooring ball and hang out for a while. We all finally got hungry, so all five of us loaded ourselves into the dinghy and motored over to the dinghy dock at the City Marina and then got into Don and Kris' rental car and drove to Sunset Grille.

Here's we are with Don while we waited in the bar area for a table out on the pool deck.

Add your comment:
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed