Swing Set

Oct 12, 201204:50 PM

Swing Set: Cruising Full Time

Tampa Bay to Longboat Key

(page 1 of 2)

Rosie met Lorraine at 7 a.m. on Tuesday morning for her trip to the clinic, where Lorraine is the medical director. She couldn't resist a tear or two as she placed Holly in a travel crate marked "animal rescue." No telling what was going through Holly's mind. Lorraine said she barked for a couple of blocks and then she was quiet for the rest of the day.

For my part, I mixed up the mold eliminator that I had bought at Home Depot and brushed it on the dinghy according to the directions. I let it set for the directed three hours, and during this time I could tell it was going to work. I rinsed it off with the hose at the required time, and all the mold spots had disappeared!

Rosie and I had lunch and then took a dinghy ride around the "neighborhood," a series of canals just east of the Apollo Beach Harbor. It was sad to see how many of the homes were in disrepair, but some of them were kept up and very nice. The layout of the neighborhood is basically a subdivision with a canal in back instead of alleys. I decided long ago that I was not "subdivision material," the type that would not take too well to a neighbor who lets their property go to ruin. It has since been determined over the years that I am also not "condo material." I guess this is why we live on a boat. If we don't like the neighborhood, we pull up anchor and git.

The much anticipated call from Lorraine came, and she said Holly was doing fine. She had three puppy teeth that had to be pulled, which is what we figured. At 7 p.m.,  Lorraine returned with our buddy, a little out of sorts, but all in one piece. During her initial examination, Lorraine found out that Holly has "trick knees" on her hind legs. What that means is they become "dislocated" very easily, but will pop back in place on their own. We suspected some issue with her legs, as twice she has yelped and then favored a hind leg. We figured she was just being a baby, but now we know. We'll have to keep an eye on her and see how much of a problem this is going to be. I suspect it won't be much of one due to the fact that we hardly let her on the ground anyway, carrying her wherever she goes.

On Wednesday morning, I removed the remainder of the hardware for our old Weaver davit. The stand-off rods laid on top of the transom, and we had stopped using them on our current setup because they weren't effective. I had eight 1/8" holes to patch, so I mixed up some gelcoat and applied it after filling the holes with some pop rivets. I only put the rivets in halfway and then cut the heads off with my dremel tool. Then, I tapped them in so they were just below the surface, plus provided a good hold for the patch. The directions say you can sand the repair within an hour, but I decided to let it set until the next day.

On Wednesday night, we were invited to a surprise birthday party at a local Japanese restaurant. We had met John and Mary Jane back in 1989 at a resort in Florida, and they had introduced us to Doug and Jeanne, along with Ed and Peggy Wingo way back then. It was Mary Jane's birthday, and the whole gang who moved down from Ohio over the years showed up. We knew most of them. Doug and Jeanne picked us up in their motorhome, along with several others in the group, and we all arrived at the same time in style.

Here we are with Ed and Peggy. They are the couple we met back up in Tarpon Springs after they drove over from their home in Land O' Lakes. There were 14 of us at the restaurant, meaning we had to sit at two different tables, which we didn't like, but outside of sitting on the floor, we had no option. After dinner, we said our goodbyes after promising to meet Ed and Peggy later in Fort Meyers for Ed's birthday in December. This is doable. Doug and Jeanne visit Fort Meyers, too, plus go to Key West occasionally, so we know we'll see them all down the road.

Jeanne tried to entice us to stay for the weekend, but the weather report was predicting some wind coming in from the north, which would increase the waves in Tampa Bay to an uncomfortable height, so we had already decided to leave Apollo Beach on Thursday morning.

I wanted to leave at high tide because the entrance to Apollo Beach Harbor was a bit skinny at low tide, so I had time to sand and buff my gelcoat repair Thursday morning before we left. By 10 a.m., we were headed down the bay.

Here's the dinghy all trussed up for the ride, looking shiny and new. At the bottom of the photo, you can see the top of the transom with the stand-off rods removed. My repair is going to need some touch up, but it looks good in the photo. I have the rods if anyone needs them, free.

Add your comment:
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed