Swing Set

Sep 12, 201309:27 AM

Swing Set: Cruising Full Time

The Key to Having a Good Idea is to Have Lots of Ideas

(page 1 of 2)

If you've been keeping up with our blog, you know that we've been having some issues with our main engines overheating. While in the Bahamas, both raw-water pump impellers were replaced, and this improved the operating temperature of the starboard engine, but when the impeller on the port engine was replaced some months later, the high operating temperature was not solved on that engine. Therefore, we "limped" home to the U.S. at our normal cruising speed of nine miles per hour.

I began to focus on the heat exchangers on our engines and made a call to Key West Engines to verify a few things, then I began a mission to clean the heat exchangers on our engines. We made no less than five trips to Shell Lumber and Hardware in Miami to purchase what I needed to CIP both raw-water cooling systems on our Caterpillars at the same time.

I rigged up a bilge pump to supply the inlet to the port engine. I used this Igloo cooler because I figured that a bigger supply vessel would in turn provide a larger return vessel, allowing the particulates to settle out in the larger vessel and not be pumped back into the system. The return line from the outlet of the starboard engine was smaller than the supply, assuring that the lines would stay packed, eliminating a need for a cutback valve on the solution return.

My mistake was using the cooler as a solution vessel, because it was too big and I had to add more water to the acid concentrate to allow the pump to be deep enough in the solution to keep pumping. In the picture, the solution is just starting to turn dark, confirming that the acid is doing its job.

In this photo, you can see the PVC elbow on the inlet to the starboard engine. Why I had to make so many trips to the hardware store is because I kept improving my method to do this job in my mind. I was going to clean each of the four components separately, but this would have wasted a lot of Barnacle Buster, at $70 per gallon.

I used a similar device as the one pictured above on the port engine, which is the inlet to the engine heat exchanger, which then exits that heat exchanger and runs to the oil cooler. So, then I routed the hose shown above from the outlet of the port engine oil cooler to the raw-water inlet on the starboard engine. From the outlet of the starboard oil cooler, I ran the return line back to the Igloo cooler.

I ran the solution for 90 minutes. In retrospect, I should have run the solution and then let it sit overnight in the acid bath. I think this would have cleaned the system better. Next time, I'll also use a smaller solution vessel (a regular bucket) and I'll use two gallons of Barnacle Buster to strengthen the acid solution, as there is quite of bit of raw water in the cooling system of our Caterpillar 3116s.

The key here is safety. An initial rinsing of the whole system is critical. I used rubber gloves in handling the return hoses, and then set up a fresh water supply and rinsed the whole system for 10 minutes before I disconnected all my hoses and fittings. Once everything was put back in place, firing up both engines allowed the ocean water to complete my rinsing process. I couldn't wait to take Swing Set out for a trial run to see if the cleaning made a difference!

Add your comment:
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed